Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Cutest Little PlumBob MTS Baby/Toddler Photo Contest for Sims 2, 3, and 4 - posted on 2nd Oct 2018 at 5:07 AM
Replies: 164 (Who?), Viewed: 39232 times.
Page 7 of 7
Lab Assistant
#151 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 6:25 AM
Hi! I would like to know, to have AO in TS3, do you have to use driver version 314? It might be dangerous because my card is pretty new and my cable is going loco (I have to weirdly unplug and plug it every time on startup) and I don't wanna have to bring my PC to the shop again. Are there any other ways to get AO on Nvidia Cards?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#152 Old 4th Aug 2018 at 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disspleased
Hi! I would like to know, to have AO in TS3, do you have to use driver version 314? It might be dangerous because my card is pretty new and my cable is going loco (I have to weirdly unplug and plug it every time on startup) and I don't wanna have to bring my PC to the shop again. Are there any other ways to get AO on Nvidia Cards?

Sorry for the bump but what's your current graphics card? You can use a later revision of the Nvidia drivers, but I am not sure as to which AO flag to use for best results.
Test Subject
#153 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 5:21 AM
Hello! I'm having the same problem as the guy above. I have a GDDR5 GT 1030.
Mad Poster
#154 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 5:51 AM
I don't know what you 2 are talking about. I'm using driver 352 from 2015 and I thought that was old. If I am reading this correct, 314 and "above" all support AO. So obviously your newer driver would also support AO.

The reason AO is not showing up on your Nvidia Control Panel is probably because your card quality is too low. The 2nd to last number is the quality scale, so 1030 is quality "3." AO is recommended for quality 7 or higher and from what I understand only 7 or higher would have it available in the NCP.

If you have a GPU of lower quality, you can still use AO, but at your own discretion by using Nvidia Inspector. The reason is turning on the AO will increase the usage of your GPU. A quality less than 7 GPU will not have a lot of headroom for that and is considered "overclocking" meaning increase in heat and lowering performance such as FPS tax.

I use a 650, level 5 card, and I can run with AO through Inspector, but I expect FPS loss. For Sims 3, I don't use it b/c this game pushes the GPU too hard already, but I use it for old games such as Warcraft 3, Battle for Middle Earth, Empire at War, etc... It works great.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#155 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 6:53 PM
It's a crude means of estimating a card's performance, but generally useful. Obviously a 950 is going to have a 650 squarely beat. My PC's old 650 was still somewhat less powerful than my laptop's 1050Ti.

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88 - it's the hottest new show on YT this season!
Already renewed for '89!

(Oh, and follow me on my Tumblr.)
Mad Poster
#156 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 7:44 PM Last edited by nitromon : 10th Oct 2018 at 7:23 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrijzePilion
My PC's old 650 was still somewhat less powerful than my laptop's 1050Ti.

Yes, each generation improves performance so a 650 is more or less equivalent to a 840 in performance, and probably equivalent to the 1030 in terms of performance. However, that's just strictly performance measuring, there are also other factors. For example, whereas GeForce GTX 750 Ti employs five Streaming Multiprocessors, GT 1030 comes equipped with three. etc... etc.. technical details. Newer games have newer demands, so while an older game may perform equally under 1030 and 650, newer games will most certainly feel the difference.

https://www.tomshardware.com/review...0-2gb,5110.html

But from what I understand, the Nvidia driver disables the AO for cards they don't recommend running it. This is why my 650 doesn't have it in the NCP and I would suspect similar instances with future cards in the 10th generation if they're level 5 and below. I run it through NI and for games like Warcraft 3, where I was getting easily 60 fps and temperature range at 60-65 degree, the AO drops about 20-30 FPS and increase temperature to 70-75 degree. It is tolerable, so I enjoy using it. But for TS3, the hit is too much for my poor 650 and would raise the temperature to 80 and maybe even 85 degree in ultra speed.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#157 Old 9th Oct 2018 at 10:37 PM
I do know that my 650 did not allow DSR through conventional means, so I had to do a little bit of spoofing with the drivers to get them to allow me to run TS3 in resolutions above 1080p. And of course, that pretty much guaranteed a framerate of 30 or lower. On my 1070, it'll stick to 60 or below. Even with the heavy Reshade effects I can still get framerates in the mid-to-high 20s where the 650 would not have exceeded the mid-to-high 10s.

Looking at other games, I have a limited frame of reference but distinctly remember having to settle for Medium-High settings in GTA V (where Medium is actually the lowest possible setting) whereas the 1070 will quite comfortably stick to 60 at Very High. Ultra and Maximum are possible but will quite often drop the framerate well below 60, which is not something I'm prepared to live with anymore. I can run Just Cause 3 and Fallout 4 at 90 or even 120 so anything under 60 is no bueno as far as I'm concerned.

Already renewed for '89!

Theorist
#158 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 4:17 PM
Interesting- Reshade with Screen-Space Reflections for TS4- wonder if it'll work for TS3?

https://imgur.com/a/AfQcYRe
Mad Poster
#159 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 6:30 PM
It should, and it's great to see it made available - I've been wondering what I'd have to do to create rained-on surfaces. Looks like this'll do just fine.

Already renewed for '89!

Mad Poster
#160 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 7:33 PM Last edited by nitromon : 10th Oct 2018 at 7:46 PM.
Unfortunately I'm running a laptop and 650m was the best they could offer. I think it is alright. But if I have a choice in future computer, I really want a level 7 or higher. I think that is standard for gaming minimal. When I first got the laptop, the 650 seemed adequate b/c I only play old games. I hadn't anticipated things like Nvidia's AO or in-game AA changes that could really ramp up the quality of these old games but drives up the GPU usage.

The AO really does improve many old game's graphics dramatically. I originally wanted all these older games to run on the Intel HD, reducing as many games running the Nvidia as possible since it is an overkill for most old games. But then when the AO was introduced, the graphics trade off couldn't be resisted...

These games work beautifully with Nvidia AO if any oldtimers out there also play them:
- Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2
- Command and Conquer Generals and Zero Hour
- Empire at War and Forces of Corruption
- Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne
- X-Wings Alliance
- Black and White 2 and Battle of the Gods

Empire at War with Nvidia AO and AA is ridiculously beautiful. I play it at 20 fps just for it.

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#161 Old 10th Oct 2018 at 7:51 PM
My old laptop had a 650m. Never did any gaming on it, but had TS3 installed with 6 EPs and had little trouble running the game at medium-high settings. Without major visual enhancements, that is. I wouldn't recommend it for heavy gaming, especially not with games released after 2010. Also that Empire of War is looking pretty good, love me a space RTS every now and then. I've heard good things about Star Trek Armada III, might look into that.

Already renewed for '89!

Test Subject
#162 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 1:15 AM
Actually @nitromon, after some testing, my GT 1030 works just fine. Not to brag, but for me usually I have no sweat running TS3 and a few expansions. Without v-sync I get like 100fps? 1000 on the menu Also, if you see my latest post on limiting frame rate, right now I'm intending to trade a little more graphics for a little less performance. I turned on HQ ambient occlusion using the Call of Juarez flag, and it looks awesome in-game.
Mad Poster
#163 Old 11th Oct 2018 at 1:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandvidya
Actually @nitromon, after some testing, my GT 1030 works just fine. Not to brag, but for me usually I have no sweat running TS3 and a few expansions. Without v-sync I get like 100fps? 1000 on the menu Also, if you see my latest post on limiting frame rate, right now I'm intending to trade a little more graphics for a little less performance. I turned on HQ ambient occlusion using the Call of Juarez flag, and it looks awesome in-game.

Yah generation 10 cards are extremely well, if you can run it, go for it. You need to enable it via Nvidia Inspector. I think there are 3 switches to turn on, which is detailed in this forum..
- enable Nvidia AO
- set AO quality
- set flag

Sanity is overrated.

There. Mystery solved.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#164 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
Interesting- Reshade with Screen-Space Reflections for TS4- wonder if it'll work for TS3?

https://imgur.com/a/AfQcYRe

Seems like that technique is more suited for photostories and/or screenshots than anything else. SSR can be rather crude at times as it only uses the screen's contents as a base but it should be reasonable enough at least in some scenarios.
Mad Poster
#165 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 6:52 PM
It also has no concept of material properties so it'll give every surface the same shine at the same angle. That means shiny grass, shiny skin, shiny trees. In practice, you'll have to take a screenshot with the shine on and one with the shine off, and then manually composit them together.

Already renewed for '89!

Page 7 of 7